Staff Spotlight for September 2016: Norman Gibson

Posted On August 22, 2016
Categories Staff Spotlight
Norman Gibson

Norman Gibson

What is your title? Pest Control Technician

Would you like to share a little about your immediate family or family history? My wife and I are native Atlantans, and our family tree is Scotch/Irish from the UK.

How long have you been working at Georgia State University? I started working for Perimeter College in 1992.

What do you do on a typical day? I check my emails and messages to chart out my rounds for pest control on the different GSU campuses.

How do you think your job supports the university’s mission? My job supports the university’s mission by creating a bug-free environment as much as possible for our students, staff and faculty, so they can concentrate on matters at hand in a pleasant environment.

What is your background? I was a retail floor assistant manager between Lazy Boy and Haverty’s fine furniture for 10 years before coming to work at Perimeter College. I started working in the Grounds Department at the college and left as Groundskeeper III to become the mailman on the Dunwoody Campus. From there I became the Pest Control Technician for the college after becoming licensed in the state of Georgia.

What do you do when you are not at work? I enjoy going to church with my wife and family. We enjoy going to the mountains and lake as well as going to the beach with friends and family when we can. I also enjoy hunting and fishing with my family and friends and also enjoy the garden in its many seasons.

What is your favorite thing in your office? Pictures of wife and family.

What don’t people know about you? I love the country of Israel and her people. When there, I enjoyed being baptized in the Jordan and soaking up the culture and their ways in the city and country side. The spiritual history of Israel is deep and endearing.

If you weren’t working at Georgia State, what would your ideal job be? To be a hunting and fishing guide three days a week, and work in the church the other two days with the weekends off.