Staff Spotlight for August 2017: Martha Murray

Posted On August 4, 2017
Categories News, Staff Spotlight
Administrative Assistant Social Sciences, Martha Murray

Martha Murray

What is your title? I am the Administrative Assistant for Associate Dean Susan Cody- Rydzewski.  She is the Associate Dean of Social Sciences, Campus Dean, Associate Professor of Sociology and the Military Outreach Academic Liaison on the Georgia State University Perimeter College Dunwoody Campus.

Would you like to share a little about your immediate family or family history?
My family has lived in the state of Georgia for over 100 years.  Also, I have family in Tennessee and New Jersey.

How long have you been working at Georgia State University?  Two and a half years

What do you do on a typical day? One of the best things about working in the dean’s office is that each day is different.  While my main duties are to provide administrative support to the Social Sciences Department and manage the daily operations of the office, I spend a lot of time searching the websites and calling contact persons in other departments to solve student, faculty, staff and visitor inquiries. This is a place where a lot of fires are extinguished.

How do you think your job supports the university’s mission?
The Dean’s office supports the university’s mission by effectively communicating with many diverse cultures, religious backgrounds and nationalities in offering the most professional and supportive customer service.  We strive to office students, faculty, staff and visitors answers to inquiries, directional information and to be a point of contract where they can find support.

What is your background?
I have more than 20 years of customer service experience in three areas-library and educational science and administration.
A.A. Library & Information Science Technology (LIST) – Perimeter College, Decatur, GA
B.B.A International Business Administration – American InterContinental University, Atlanta, GA
M.S. Education/Online Teaching & Learning OTL – Hayward, CA

What do you do when you are not at work?
I volunteer at our neighborhood library, draw, paint and spend time with family and friends.

What is your favorite thing in your office?
Cards from the Associate Dean, students and visitors expressing their appreciation.

What don’t people know about you?
Before moving to Atlanta, GA, I was an educator in the Richmond County Public School System.

If you weren’t working at Georgia State, what would your ideal job be?
Business owner

Highlight some of your accomplishments?
My belief that education is the key to unlock the mind has led me to seek continuous training opportunities to improve my skills.  One of my best accomplishments is the day I earned the Advanced Speaker certification in Toastmasters International.  It has allowed me to conduct training in the American Red Cross disaster preparedness program at schools and organizations throughout the Metro-Atlanta area.

I have taken advantage of organizations and free courses to strengthen my skills at my current position to be a better and more professional asset to the university.  I have earned certifications for completing online courses on Lynda.com.