The First Meeting
In 1989, the first Personnel/Staff Council at Georgia State University was created. The first council members were appointed by their administrative units. They served as communicators, sharing information about changing personnel policies and gathering feedback from other staff members.
1991-94: We're Chartered and a Representative Body
- In 1991, we joined the University System of Georgia Staff Council (USGSC) as a charter member.
- Also in 1991, acting President Sherman Day proposed that the council become something more – a truly representative body.
- The first Staff Council elections were held in August of that year. Bylaws were approved in December, and the council became fully operational early in 1992.
- After a delay (due to a backlog of old business), the Board of Regents approved the Staff Council as an official university entity in spring of 1994.
1995-97: New Benefits for Staff
- Began co-sponsoring the annual Benefits/Staff Information Day. This annual event brings benefits providers and other community groups to campus to answer staff members’ questions.
- Advocated for a tuition remission program with the Board of Regents and the Chancellor, and then assisting with the development of the program.
- Developed and implementing the Staff Scholarship Awards. These awards help staff members pay for books and other incidental educational expenses.
2003-04: Online Voting, Representation and Retreats!
- Created an online system for Staff Council elections, to make participation as easy as possible.
- Began having annual council retreats.
- Added staff representation to the University Senate, and to other university-wide committees.
2004-05: Donated Leave Program
Developed policy and procedures for Donated Leave Program. Participating staff members may donate some of their vacation leave into a pool, which members can draw on in case of emergency.
2007: Board of Officers
Developed new Board of Officers to lead Staff Council.
2008-15: Administration, Training, Surveys and Consolidation
- Developed new council website (updated periodically through the years).
- Successfully worked to have staff added to administrator reviews.
- Launched biennial university-wide staff survey in collaboration with Institutional Research (still going as of 2019).
- Worked in partnership with Georgia State University Human Resources to pilot the Staff Training and Development Fund.
- Collaborated with colleagues at Georgia Perimeter College (PC) on planned consolidation of PC and Georgia State staff councils.